Cellular and Molecular Biologists
About Metrion Biosciences
Metrion Biosciences (‘Metrion’) is a UK-based, ion channel focused Contract Research Organisation (CRO) providing high-quality in vitro preclinical drug discovery and safety profiling services. Formed in 2015, Metrion has since established a loyal and growing global customer base who access our comprehensive suite of drug discovery services; including medicinal chemistry screening support, cardiac safety profiling and custom assays using native tissue and stem cells. Metrion’s vision is to establish the company as the first-choice outsourcing partner for ion channel drug discovery research and cardiac safety services for the worldwide pharmaceutical industry.
Metrion is forming a new Cell Biology Group to increase our portfolio of cell lines and cell biology technologies for use in customer drug discovery research programmes. We are seeking highly motivated and creative scientists with a strong intellectual and practical background in Cellular and Molecular Biology to be a key part in this initiative. The Cell Biology team will be based at our Granta Park headquarters (Cambridge, UK) and successful applicants will be responsible for strategic planning of experiments and hands on implementation of cell biology activities. Candidates should ideally have experience in eukaryotic cell culture techniques, a strong background in molecular biology and protein expression techniques. Knowledge of stem cell biology would be advantageous.
Whilst Cell Biology roles are expected to be predominantly lab based, candidates with some management experience will be considered for a line management position in the Cell Biology team.
Cellular and Molecular Biologists
Duties will include the following:
- Working with Metrion’s senior management team to develop and prosecute a strategy to create new cell lines expressing ion channels and, where applicable, appropriate accessory subunits.
- Provision of technical expertise for the identification and implementation of new ion channel cell biology technologies at Metrion.
- Performing hands on cell biology laboratory work, to include:
- Conceiving, planning, design, execution and supervision of experiments.
- Efficient authoring of protocols and documentation of study results.
- Presentation of results at team meetings and providing recommendations for future strategy.
- Ability to work in a cooperative team environment.
- Liaison with the electrophysiology team to establish and validate ion channel cell lines of sufficient quality for the provision of drug discovery assay services to Metrion’s clients.
- Leading the identification and implementation of new technologies at Metrion to aid in the generation of new cell lines.
- Suitably experienced applicants will be considered for a line management role.
Essential Skills Qualifications:
- Demonstratable experience in eukaryotic cell culture and protein expression.
- Expertise in molecular biology and conducting experiments to generate cell-based expression systems, including stable and transient transfection methodology.
- Knowledge of cell-based assays or developing of screening assays using heterologous cell-based expression systems and stem cells.
- Excellent attention to detail, ability to record and maintain accurate written records and consistent focus on high quality of scientific standards.
- Strong interpersonal, presentation, time management, organisational and written / oral communication skills.
- PhD in life sciences with at least three years’ experience of laboratory research experience. BSc or MSc with at least five years of laboratory research experience.
- Candidates with experience of leading scientific teams, developing and implementing experimental research plans are especially welcome.
- Experience of working in a busy industrial/commercial laboratory environment.
- Knowledge and/or experience of patch clamp electrophysiology (manual or automated).
Do you have a passion for ion channel drug discovery?
If you have any questions that you would like to discuss regarding this vacancy or for an informal discussion about this role, please contact us today to discover more. We look forward to hearing from you.