Cardiac Translational Assays
Reliable and reproducible translational human cardiovascular assays that demonstrate the cardiac safety of your therapeutic compounds in line with current and future CiPA and FDA guidelines
Introduction to Metrion’s Cardiac Assay services
High quality cardiac toxicity data generation and interpretation is vital to the efficient progression of a drug discovery campaign. Metrion offers a range of translational, phenotypic cardiac assays and platforms that have been validated using a number of commercially available human iPSC-derived cardiomyocyte cell lines. Using technologies such as manual patch clamp electrophysiology, multi-electrode array (MEA; Maestro platform) or dual MEA/impedance readouts (CardioExcyte96), Metrion can offer a direct readout of physiological function and cardiac risk in the iPSC-derived cardiomyocyte cell line- of your choosing.
Manual Patch Assays
Metrion has considerable expertise working with both human atrial and ventricular iPSC-derived cardiomyocytes on the manual patch clamp platform. The company has access to, and has characterised, a wide range of commercially available cell lines from a number of vendors. Metrion offers services to screen compounds against action potentials and membrane currents recorded from iPSC-derived cardiomyocytes. Furthermore, we provide a cell line characterisation service for companies and vendors looking to commercialise their cell lines.
Read next More on Manual Patch Assays
MEA and Impedance Platforms
Metrion has developed plate-based iPSC-derived cardiomyocyte assays using MEA and impedance platforms to add further depth to our range of CiPA-compliant assays. Metrion has access to, and has characterised, a wide range of commercially available iPSC-derived cardiomyocyte cell lines from a number of vendors. Phenotypic readouts can be correlated with modelling predictions and electrophysiology readouts as part of an integrated CiPA approach.
Read next More on MEA and Impedance Platforms
Translational Cardiac Assays Resource Library
- The Changing Landscape of Cardiac Safety
- Improving biological tools for disease modelling and drug discovery: Human iPSC-derived Atrial Cardiomyocytes
- vCor.4U™ Ventricular Enriched Cardiomyocytes: Pharmacological characterisation utilising manual patch clamp
- Validation of an impedance-based phenotypic screening assay able to detect multiple mechanisms of chronic cardiotoxicity in human stem cell-derived cardiomyocytes. Presentation by Marc Rogers, CSO Metrion Biosciences, Nanion technologies Exhibitor session, 2020 Biophysical Society meeting, San Diego USA.
- In depth profiling of human iPSC cardiomyocytes: From electrophysiology to phenotypic assays. Presentation by Metrion Biosciences’ Said El Haou, Ncardia Workshop, Cologne, 29th November – 1st December 2017.
- Development of an Impedance Based Screening Assay for Cardiac Safety and Cardiotoxicity Detection in Stem Cell derived Cardiomyocytes. Safety Pharmacology Society Annual Meeting, Barcelona, 2019
- Metrion Biosciences: high quality ion channel drug discovery service provider. Milner Therapeutics Symposium, Cambridge, 2019
- Assessment of human induced pluripotent stem cell-derived cardiomyocytes for evaluating drug-induced arrhythmias with multi-electrode array. Safety Pharmacology Society meeting, Washington DC, USA 2018.
- Functional characterisation of human iPSC-derived atrial cardiomyocytes. SelectBio Stem Cells and Antibodies in Drug Discovery, Cambridge, May 2018.
- Refining in vitro QPatch cardiac ion channel QPatch and MEA iPSC cardiomyocyte assays for CiPA. SOT San Antonio 2018 poster Late Breaking 12: Safety Assessment: Pharmaceutical and Non-Pharmaceutical.
- Comprehensive Profiling of Axiogenesis Ventricular vCor.4U iPSC-Derived Cardiomyocytes – From Electrophysiology to Phenotypic Assays. SPS Berlin 2017 poster 175.
- Differentiation and Validation of Human iPSC-Derived Atrial Cardiomyocytes. SPS Berlin 2017 poster 176.
- Electrophysiological Characterisation of Cellular Dynamics International Ventricular iCell2 iPSC-Derived Cardiomyocytes. SPS Berlin 2017 poster 177.
- Monitoring drug-induced cytotoxicity and hepatotoxicity using impedance. Advances in Cell Based Screening, Gothenburg, May 2017.
- Human ventricular stem cell cardiomyocytes: validating in vitro assays and screening platforms for proarrhythmia risk prediction. SPS Vancouver September 2016 poster 0242.
- Human stem cell-derived cardiomyocytes: in vitro assays and screening platforms for exploring ventricular and atrial phenotypes. SPS Vancouver September 2016 poster 0247.
- Electrophysiological profiling of Axiogenesis CorV.4U iPSC-derived cardiomyocytes. Axiogenesis Workshop Cologne September 2016.
- Metrion-Nanion collaboration flyer highlighting Patchliner and CardioExcyte 96 services
- Metrion’s Complete CiPA Toolkit flyer.
- iPSC-Derived Cardio myocyte Characterisation Services flyer.
- Atrial‐like cardiomyocytes from human pluripotent stem cells are a robust preclinical model for assessing atrial‐selective pharmacology
- Presentation by Marc Rogers (Metrion CSO) at the June 2016 Sophion Ion Channel Modulation Symposium, Clare College, Cambridge (UK). CiPA update: in vitro cardiac ion channels screens, in silico models and stem cells iPS cardiomyocyte assays for pro-arrhythmia risk prediction.
Translational Cardiac Assays Technologies
- Conventional manual patch clamp electrophysiology
- Plate-based impedance and microelectrode array techniques
Let’s work together
What are your specific ion channel screening requirements?
If you have any questions, or would like to discuss your project, we will put you directly in touch with a member of our scientific team. Contact us today to discover more.