About Metrion Biosciences
Metrion Biosciences (‘Metrion’) is a UK-based, ion channel focused Contract Research Organisation (CRO) providing high-quality in vitro preclinical drug discovery and safety profiling services. Formed in 2015, Metrion has since established a loyal and growing global customer base who access our comprehensive suite of drug discovery services; including medicinal chemistry screening support, cardiac safety profiling and custom assays using native tissue and stem cells. Metrion’s vision is to establish the company as the first-choice outsourcing partner for ion channel drug discovery research and cardiac safety services for the worldwide pharmaceutical industry.
Metrion is looking to recruit a Research Technician to support our enthusiastic lab team. The role will be based at our Granta Park headquarters (Cambridge, UK) and the successful applicant will be responsible for supporting various laboratory and company operations including the cell culture team, lab management duties, health and safety and general laboratory tasks to support the efficient function of the labs.
Duties to include the following:
Lab management support
- Maintain a clean and orderly lab environment
- Organising and performing routine laboratory administrative tasks (e.g. lab coat cleaning, waste disposal, WEEE waste disposal, lab cleaning tasks).
- Ordering and receipt of consumables for cell culture and biology teams – stock control and liasing with third party procurement company. Price monitoring and follow up on issues with orders.
- Liaison with central stores and goods-in team . Order collection, receipting and storage.
- Organise and maintain consumables store.
- Support lab team with production of general biology reagents (e.g. buffer preparation, aliquoting and diluting, assisting with compound handling).
- Freezer/Fridge management – storage and defrosting.
- Co-ordinate shipments from Metrion to third party companies.
- Operation and maintenance of core laboratory equipment.
Health and safety support
- Support health and safety function within the laboratory and general office areas; tasks will include assisting with compliance to legionella risk assessment, fire safety checks and gas cylinder checks.
- Compiling and maintaining inventories of chemicals and client compound shipments received.
- Collate list of broken equipment and arrange for repair/replacement.
- Co-ordinate onsite service visits by external engineers/contractors for annual safety and/or maintenance visits (e.g. PAT testing, pipette calibration etc.).
- Provide training in safe use of equipment to staff.
Cell culture support
- Aliquoting and preparing reagents for cell culture (e.g. FBS, media/reagents).
- Housekeeping duties: decontaminating used cell culture flasks and tubes for disposal, cleaning of cell culture incubators and safety cabinets, lab waste disposal.
- Re-stocking cell culture with consumables.
- Transport of gas cylinders and gas cylinder exchange.
- Liquid nitrogen dewar filling and maintenance.
Essential Skills/ Qualifications:
- Proven experience as a lab technician or a relevant position.
- Experience in operating laboratory equipment and handling of potentially dangerous equipment and substances.
- Experience with consumable procurement.
- Proactive attitude and positive approach to help the team succeed.
- Experience working in an industrial setting.
- Experience with aseptic technique.
Do you have a passion for ion channel drug discovery?
If you have any questions that you would like to discuss regarding this vacancy or for an informal discussion about this role, please contact us today to discover more. We look forward to hearing from you.