Safety Officer and Laboratory Manager
About Metrion Biosciences
Metrion Biosciences (‘Metrion’) is a UK-based, ion channel focused Contract Research
Organisation (CRO) providing high-quality in vitro preclinical drug discovery and safety
profiling services. Formed in 2015, Metrion has since established a loyal and growing global
customer base who access our comprehensive suite of drug discovery services; including
medicinal chemistry screening support, cardiac safety profiling and custom assays using native
tissue and stem cells. Metrion’s vision is to establish the company as the first-choice outsourcing
partner for ion channel drug discovery research and cardiac safety services for the worldwide
Metrion is currently seeking candidates with a suitable background to fill the newly created
post of Safety Officer and Laboratory Manager. Suitable candidates will be looking to move
into responsible, commercially focused laboratory-based role, joining and supporting our
scientific operations team based in Cambridge, UK. This role would be suitable for candidates
with an industrial background or from an academic laboratory environment seeking their first
The role will be permanent and based at our Granta Park headquarters.
Safety Officer and Laboratory Manager
Duties will include or require the following:
Health and Safety responsibilities
• Act as Company Safety Officer supporting the creation, implementation,
development, monitoring, and review of safety arrangements at Metrion.
• Monitoring and enforcement of compliance with Metrion’s local safety rules and
statutory safety requirements.
• Responsible for the creation, communication, and implementation of safety
• To liaise with other Metrion staff to ensure shared laboratory space is used efficiently
and to ensure a safe working environment at all times.
• Work with our external advisors to ensure Metrion is working to current best practise for
health and safety.
• Act as chair of the Safety Committee and contribute towards Genetically Modified
Organisms (GMO) Committee meetings chaired by Metrion’s Head of Cell Biology.
General laboratory management responsibilities
• Reporting to the Director of Operations the successful candidate will have
responsibility for the efficient day to day operation of Metrion’s laboratories.
• To work with the GLP laboratory Study Director to ensure Metrion’s GLP laboratory is
adequately resourced and compliant to regulations at all times.
• To take overall responsibility for organising Metrion’s laboratory equipment
maintenance, liaising with Metrion team members concerning general servicing and
• Work with the Director of Operations to negotiate high-quality, cost-effective service
and/or repair contracts.
• To manage Metrion’s consumable stores, ensuring general and specialist
consumables are ordered in a timely manner.
• To be responsible for ensuring laboratory facilities and shared equipment resources
are operational and properly managed; maintaining lab supplies for these common
areas and enforcing responsible usage of such facilities by team members.
• To maximise resources within budget constraints, negotiating discounts with suppliers
and contractors and ensuring equipment and consumable procurement procedures
• To work with Metrion’s Financial Controller to ensure timely tracking of expenditure
against budgets and implementation of cost savings where appropriate.
• To initiate purchase orders for repairs, service contracts, and goods etc.
• To maintain organised records for maintenance contracts, breakdown/repair visits
• To create and maintain an electronic online-based register and records of
equipment (including servicing and repairs) and training.
• Maintain an effective alarm monitoring system for cold and cryogenic storage.
• Where appropriate, train new members of staff in basic laboratory skills, in health and
safety practices, and the operation of some core laboratory equipment.
• Participation in out-of-hours response arrangements for laboratory-based
Absence cover for other team members
Essential Qualifications and Skills:
• BSc in biology or chemistry or more than three years’ experience of hands-on
• Experience of managing Health and Safety compliance in a laboratory environment.
Minimum of NEBOSH Health and Safety at Work Award or willingness to undertake the
training course and commit to future development of personal health and safety
• The successful applicant will be a proven team worker with first class attention to detail,
strong interpersonal, presentation, time management, organisational and excellent
English written and oral communication skills.
• Ability to communicate effectively with Metrion staff and client personnel at all levels.
• Ability to be a team player, whilst also enforcing compliance with safety legislation and
considerate working practise.
• Previous experience of working for a preclinical contract research organisation
(CRO) would be advantageous.
• Knowledge of ion channels and drug discovery research in an industrial setting.
Do you have a passion for ion channel drug discovery?
If you have any questions that you would like to discuss regarding this vacancy or for an informal discussion about this role, please contact us today to discover more. We look forward to hearing from you.